The Community and Economic Development department strives to provide employment opportunities within the Washington region through partnerships with educational institutions and comprehensive sustainable community planning. The Department works to achieve this goal through the Washington City Council, the Washington Redevelopment Corporation, the Washington Area Chamber of Commerce and the Washington Civic Industrial Corporation.
1. Begin/continue an aggressive business retention and expansion program
2. Identify future land for industrial development purposes
3. Continue collaboration with Missouri Partnership and St. Louis Regional Chamber to market community to new industries
4. Maintain Certified Work Ready Community Status through National Career Readiness Certificate Program
5. Target industry clusters for best available future job growth
6. Continue to market quality of life in promotional materials to site selectors, industries and future workforce
7. Collaborate with East Central College, Four Rivers Career Center and Chamber of Commerce to identify job opportunities with existing employers
8. Continue to improve Washington Regional Airport
9. Expand Highway 47 to four lanes south to Union and St. Clair
This webpage is currently under construction.